This design, modeled after the regular nickel 3 cent obverse but with a star on Liberty's coronet, is combined with a simple laurel wreath with In God We Trust at the top and the word Cents curved under the 5. It was struck from 2 obverse dies as shown below.
Date away from curl
Nickel J570/P638 with 3 to 4 dozen known.
Copper J571/P639 with only 3 or 4 known including:
1) B/R 9/75
2) Ivy 8/82 ANA, B/M 11/90, Wilcox - PCGS65RB
3) Hewitt 4/77, Bass-HWBRF, B/M 5/99, StacksBowers 11/12, Simpson collection - PCGS65BN
Date near curl
Nickel J570/P640 with 3 confirmed.
1) Stacks 4/78, B/M 8/99
2) Leidman 10/71, Bass-HWBRF, B/M 5/99 - PCGSAU55
3) Rothchild-Stacks 10/03
Copper J571/P641 with 3 confirmed.
1) Byron Reed-Durham Museum
2) Heritage 8/96 ANA, B/M 1/03, Wilcox, Saul Teichman - PCGS64RB
3) Heritage 1/99 FUN - NGC66BN
Incomplete obverse splashers JA1867-17/P3334 and JA1867-18/P3335 are also known.
The lower date die was also used outside the mint to strike certain issues. For more on this, click here.
Photo courtesy of Heritage.