George Morgan's "Shield Earring" design considered to be one of the most beautiful ever made by the US Mint. This design was issued in sets of the quarter dollar, half dollar and silver dollar in both silver and copper as above.
The following examples are confirmed:
1) Doughty 4/1891, Reed, OCL-WHM – ICG66RB possibly the Maris and/or Vicksburg-Stetson coin
2) Stacks privately to David Queller, Heritage 1/09, M. Hagen - NGC66RB.
3) B/R 10/77, Superior 1/89, Superior 10/89, Auction 90 as PCGS64RB, Virginia collection, Heritage 4/17 - PCGS65RB spot in lettering removed.
4) Taylor-NN61st, Hughes 7/80?, Tangible Assets, Teletrade 3/3/93, Marin, Alhambra/Hanks, Superior 4-7/00 FPL?, Heritage 2/01 (not sold), Heritage 5/01 (not sold) as PCGS66RB, ANR 7/05 as PCGS66BN, Simpson collection - PCGS67RB, illustrated above.
5) Burke-B/M 5/94, Superior 8/95 (not sold), Superior 3/01, Heritage 1/07, Simpson collection - PCGS66RB
Lohr's is either #2, #3 or a sixth example.
Examples were also struck in silver J1702/P1904 with fewer than a dozen known.
For additional information on this and the other denominations, click here.
A single obverse splasher of just Liberty's head, struck in copper, is also known as JA1882-1/P3485.
Photo courtesy of Heritage.