George T. Morgan's famous Liberty Head design previously believed to have been modeled after Anna Williams. Research by Robert W. Julian notes that this is actually the first of the 4 Morgan dies of this year.
Only 6 examples are known as follows:
1) Cogan in 1883, Garrett-JHU, Garrett I, B/M 11/97 nicely toned, Southern Collection, Simpson, Heritage 8/10, Stacks-Bowers 6/11, Heritage 1/12, Heritage 4/12 - PCGS65, now dipped fully struck. see illustrations below of this piece before and after the dipping.
2) Judd, Merkin 6/70, Bass-HWBRF - gem proof weakly struck
3) Dibello-Stacks 5/70, Sieck-81 ANA, Superior 7/93, D. Novoselsky as PCGS65, Kagins, Teletrade 4/10/99, Superior 7/03, ANR 1/06 – NGC66 weakly struck
4) Empire Topics #3, Cox-Stacks 4/62, B/M 9/88, Superior 10/89 as PCGS64, Superior 7/03 as NGC66, M. Hagen as PCGS65, Simpson collection - PCGS66, weakly struck - illustrated above
5) Farouk-Sothebys 2/54, Bolender 10/55, Bergin-Stacks 6/84 – fully struck - cleaned, lacquered
6) Col Green?, Newman-EPNNES, Heritage 4/13 - NGC67
This design was also struck in copper J1517/P1681 with at least 8 known.
For pedigree information on this and all 1877 half dollars, click here.
Photo courtesy of Bowers and Merena.
Here are images of the Garrett coin before and after dipping courtesy of Saul Teichman.