William Barber's sailors head design without stars or motto, one of 4 different but similar obverse dies of this year.
This design in known as follows:
Silver J1457/P1606. Only 2 examples were struck as follows:
1) Woodin, Newcomer, Col Green, Boyd, Farouk, Judd, Kosoff-B/R 11/85, Novoselsky, Kagins, southern collection, Simpson - NGC65, illustrated above courtesy of PCGS, click on the thumbnail to see an enlargement.
2) Woodin, Granberg, Kosoff 1/68 FPL, Sotheby's 12/73, Fred-B/M 11/95, Heritage 1/07 FUN, Heritage 1/15 FUN - PCGS62, illustrated below courtesy of Heritage.
These were struck on trade dollar planchets so it is likely that these are actually trade dollar patterns.
Copper with reeded edge J1458A/P1607 with the following confirmed.
1) B/R 11/72, Magnolia-SpinkSmythe 5/11 as PCGS64RB, StacksBowers 8/12 ANA - PCGS65RB
2) HIM 11/82, 95 ANA, ANR 12/03 as PCGS64RB, now in NGC65RB holder
3) B/R 9/84
4) Mehl 6/42, Taylor-New Netherlands 61st sale, Bass, B/M 5/99 PCGS66RB
5) ex-Kosoff, B/M 11/85 silverplated.
6) Stacks 5/06, Heritage 11/06 - PCGS66RB, possibly one of above
Copper with plain edge J1458/P1608. This is unique and is ex Col Green, Fairfield-B/R 11/77, Sieck-81 ANA where miscataloged, Queller-Heritage 1/09 FUN as NGC66RB, Simpson collection - PCGS66RB.